What should a small business owner do in 2019 to rank high(er) in the Google Search Rankings? How can we compete with websites that are much bigger than us? Is there a secret to pleasing Google as a small business owner ? Let me summarize some useful short-term actions, medium actions and long term actions for you!
What I have here is the result of my journey throughout the wonderful world of the internet and of course my own experience.
- Short term actions
These are things you can do right now:
- Answer the questions your client is asking.
- Try to solve a customer problem by offering a qualitative solution.
- Contact an expert in the field and let him or her write your content.
Resolving small technical issues
- Remove duplicated content on several pages.
- Complete and improve title tags so the visitor knows what your website is about.
- Create regular 404 reports in Google Analytics so you can identify broken links.
Figure 1: You can create custom reports in Google Analytics to follow up your 404 error reports.
- Make sure you have an H1, alt tags and meta descriptions with important keywords. A great tool to check and view how your meta descriptions look like is the SERP Snippet Optimization Tool.
- Make sure you have a regularly updated sitemap.
- Check for pages that aren’t indexed in the Google Search console.
- Make your website safe and secure through the HTTPS certificate.
- Medium term actions
Tackle bigger SEO issues by getting backlinks to your site:
- Contribute yourself to blogs of influencers and regularly backlink to your website.
- Check the links of your competition via tools like monitor backlinks.
- Make a well-designed contact form.
- Develop a clear site architecture and navigation.
Figure 2: A well design contact form designed by Superkraft.be
- Long-term actions
Now it’s time for the bigger challenges:
- Use different images, videos, slideshows and audio. They help enrich the user experience and allow you to deliver information in a way that is most suited to your ideal site visitors.
- A nice workflow or infographic is a sign of quality content to search engines. Which is logical since it makes your website look more professional.
- Video marketing has shown some amazing conversion rates. According to the organizational housewares e-tailer StacksAndStacks.com visitors are 144% more likely to purchase something after seeing a product video comparing to those who did not.
Trial and competition
Next year will be a year full of competition. In 2019 small businesses will clearly compete online. If you do not want to miss that train then by all means do not wait until things will get more difficult! Start today with short term actions. Then gradually move to bigger efforts. It might seem like a challenge, but your small business is worth it!